Whale Watching Season in Puerto Vallarta
Every year, between the months of December and March, humpback whales migrate in herd to the warm waters of the Pacific Ocean, they swim for two or three months to reach the mild tropical climate of Puerto Vallarta and Riviera Nayarit, to rest, spend the winter , reproduce and give birth to their babies; it is estimated that around six thousand humpback whales migrate during this time of year.
During these months, residents and tourists can enjoy whale watching tours in Puerto Vallarta, watch them jump and wave their tails over the crystalline waters of the Pacific; Whale watching in Puerto Vallarta is something magical and unique that you must experience when you visit during the winter season.
To live this experience you must hire the services of a professional tourist provider since there are regulations for the protection of whales. At PV Fishing and Sailing we are committed to complying with all government regulations so that you can enjoy a whale watching tour in Puerto Vallarta in a safe and fun way.
We have the best private and public whale watching tours in Puerto Vallarta and Riviera Nayarit; If you want to enjoy a more exclusive experience, it is recommended to rent a yacht in Vallarta or some other private boat, this way you will have the freedom to choose the departure time and itinerary, we got you covered whether you just want to sail through the bay while watching whales or you want to combine it with a bit of fishing, snorkeling or swimming.
Interesting Facts About Humpback Whales
- They can measure more than 15 meters in length and eat more than 3,000 kg a day.
- Whale size depends on their location, the ones that live in cold regions can weigh more than 50 tons, and those that live in tropical areas weigh around 25-30 tons.
- Their heart can weigh about 200 kg, the equivalent of 3 adult men.
- Humpbacks are acrobats, they stay on the surface making movements and turning somersaults.
- Their incredible leaps are a form of distance communication and part of the mating process.
- They can swim at a maximum speed of 25 km/h and can stay underwater for up to 30 minutes.
- The song of a whale can be heard 20 km away.